Via Ferrata Kapetaniana, Crete
The via ferrata trip is suitable for all people with some experience in rock climbing. It is very easy in terms of climbing as there is a wire and steps on most parts.
It is however exposed on some parts thus is recommended to have previous climbing experience but not required.
Rock climbers will love the route. The view to the Lybean sea is outstanding as it is located in the heart of Asterousia mountains; a range in southern Crete separating the Messara valley from the Libyan Sea.
It starts very close from Kapetaniana village at 800 meters altitude.
A must trip if you want to explore the real face of Crete!
ABOUT VIA FERRATA
The essence of a modern via ferrata is a steel cable which runs along the route and is periodically (every 1 to 10 metres (3.3 to 32.8 ft)) fixed to the rock. Using a via ferrata kit, climbers can secure themselves to the cable, limiting any fall. The cable can also be used as aid to climbing, and additional climbing aids, such as iron rungs (stemples), pegs, carved steps are often provided. Thus via ferratas allow otherwise dangerous routes to be undertaken without the risks associated with unprotected scrambling and climbing or the need for climbing equipment such as ropes. They offer the relatively inexperienced a means of enjoying dramatic positions and accessing difficult peaks, normally the preserve of the serious mountaineer; although, as there is a need for some equipment, a good head for heights and basic technique, the via ferrata can be seen as a distinct step up from ordinary mountain walking.
All equipment is provided fir this activity; all you need is your shoes and a small rucksack.
WHAT TO BRING
You will need to pack your lunch. Other than that you will need at least 1.5lt of water, sun glasses, hat and sunscreen along with a good hiking shoe or trail running shoes. Normal sport shoes can also be used but not recommended as the rock is quite sharp in some places and there is a big chance to make a hole in them!
WHAT TIME DO WE MEET AND FINISH
We start around 10 am from Heraklion or earlier during the summer months to avoid the strong midday sun. The via Ferrata itself takes around 1.5 hours for experienced climbers or between 2-3 hours for non experienced. We also need roughly an hour and 15 minutes driving to get there.
DO YOU PROVIDE TRANSPORT?
We pick up clients from Heraklion town and nearby. Many times we are able to pick up clients from other locations as well but it needs to be on our way to the starting point. If you need transport and you are not sure get in touch with us. Remember to send us the exact location of your hotel, not just the name. Transport is provided for free.
I'VE NEVER CLIMBED BEFORE, CAN I JOIN?
Yes as long as you are not overweight, you are in good fit and are not afraid of heights.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 7 days or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 3 and 7 days prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement.
- Cancellation 3 days or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected.
* If the activity is canceled by the cooperating company (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Address: Heraklion Crete
Notes: We pick up clients from Heraklion town and nearby. Many times we are able to pick up clients from other locations as well but it needs to be on our way to the starting point. If you need transport and you are not sure get in touch with us. Remember to send us the exact location of your hotel, not just the name. Transport is provided for free.
Point of activity
Region: Kapetaniana, Irakleio