Caving in Athens (Lord Byron's Cave)
To the SW of the town of Keratea, on the southern side of the mountain and at an altitude of 548m. the Kerateas cave is opened. It has two floors and is divided into three longitudinal parallel sections, by beautiful columns, stalactites and stalagmites. The small reservoirs with crystal clear water, located in 4 parts of the cave, also contribute to the cave's phantasmagoria.
From the first section, with a steep ascent of about 5 meters, the other 3 apartments with a downhill floor start successively. The last mudflat keeps water at the bottom with a depth depending on the season. It is the deepest point of the cave, with an altitude difference of 28 meters from the entrance. The length of the cave is 60 meters, its width is 35 meters and its ceiling height varies from 5 to 10 meters. Although no excavations have been carried out to characterize the place as religious, this cannot be ruled out, because a small broken clay pot was found among the movable materials of the floor of the first section.
It is one of the caves that Lord Byron once visited, and that is why it has been named "Lord Byron's Cave". In fact, during his visit there, Lord Byron found himself in quite a difficult position, when the lighting with torches he had gone out and he found himself in total darkness looking for the exit with his companions. In the end, he managed without any accident, but on the occasion of this incident, it is pointed out that great care and respect are required when visiting a cave because there is always a risk of an accident happening to us and endangering our lives.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 72 hours or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 24 hours and 72 hours prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
- Cancellation 24 hours or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Address: Lord Byron's Cave