Day tour near Athens. Lavrio and Sounion: Walking, Culture, History and Geology
A full-day walking tour out-of-the beaten track to the southeast tip of Attica; at the area of Lavreotiki. Discover secret places and hidden treasures only 50km from the city of Athens.
The area had been inhabited since the Neolithic period, mainly due to its rich subsoil. It was the main silver mining center in both ancient and modern Greece and it was this silver that gave ancient Athenians the power to dominate during the Classical era. After Classical Antiquity, the mining activity was stopped, and until the mid-19th century, there are no signs of human presence there.
Lavreotiki is a hilly area with an extended coastline that includes the town of Lavrio and the National Park of Sounion, whilst has a wealth of important archeological monuments and contemporary history sites. It is a region perfect for beautiful day explorations and adventure tours.
Join us on this exciting hike in the southernmost tip of Attica!
Through pines and bushes we walk onto ancient trails among adits, pits, shafts, and tunnels; some over 100m deep, and ancient workshops with their cisterns and ore washeries. We walk further down until we reach the marble quarries; this marble was used in the construction of Poseidon’s temple; the renowned masterpiece of Athens Golden Age. From the top of Mt. Vigla peak, we enjoy the breathtaking view of the sparkling blue of the Aegean Sea, and then, down on the promontory the evocative temple awaits us to end our perfect day with the famous sunset.
Points of interest
Poseidon’s temple, built at the highest point of Cape Sounion by the Athenians, in the mid-5th century B.C, during the “Golden Age of Pericles”; is entirely made of white marble. This sanctuary of the god of the sea was since then and till our days, known among the sailors. According to Greek Mythology, it was there that king Aegeus was in agony expecting Theseus’s ship to return from Crete and he jumped to the sea as he falsely believed that his son had been killed by the Minotaur. The sea was named after this good king of Athens, the Aegean Sea. The view from this legendary place is stunning!
Thorikos was one of the earliest settlements of Attica, with very important archeological finds such as its unique ancient theatre, the Mycenean acropolis at the peak of Velatouri Hill, and other priceless finds, evidence that this area was already inhabited since the Neolithic era.
Mineral washeries and mine installations; are scattered throughout the National Park of Sounion. Dated since antiquity, witness the intelligence and the high technology of ancient Athenians, in their attempt to mine the precious metals (silver, lead) from this soil.
Kamariza or Agios Konstantinos; is a former mining settlement, a village with a very good climate and rich flora, situated next to the National Park of Sounio.
“Chaos”; is a geological phenomenon. Beautiful view of the town of Lavrio.
Lavrio and its port; is a modern city founded in the 19th century. It was an industrial town till 20 years ago with mining activity; something that is very obvious practically everywhere. Beautiful neoclassical buildings, intact the installations of the French Mining Company; nowadays an Industrial and Cultural Park, Archeological and Mineral museums.
- Poseidon’s temple, built at the highest point of Cape Sounion
- Thorikos was one of the earliest settlements of Attica
- Mineral washeries and mine installations are scattered throughout the National Park
- Kamariza or Agios Konstantinos, a former mining settlement
- “Chaos”, a geological phenomenon
- Lavrio and its port, a modern city founded in the 19th century
Pick up / drop off from/to your accommodation
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 24 hours before the start date of the agreed activity. You will be automatically refunded for the full price of the activity.
- Cancellation 24 hours or later before the start date of the agreed activity is what we call last minute cancellations. No refunds will be made.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Address: Αθήνα κέντρο
Notes: Meeting points: Our offices in Koukaki (Athens downtown) or at one of the following METRO stations: Acropolis, Syggrou-Fix, N.Kosmos, Ag.Ioannis. Different meeting point or pick-up from your accommodation upon request.
Point of activity