Discover Mt. Hymettus. Hiking in Athens
Mt. Hymettus is one of the three mountains surrounding the basin of Athens and it is visible from every neighborhood of the Greek capital. At an altitude of just 1026 m, but quite extended with a varied relief, stunning view over the city and the sea, with historical places, important monuments and many walking paths; Mt. Hymettus is the ideal destination for half-day sightseeing and adventures tours. Enjoy the scents of pine tree, thyme, cistus and tens of other plants; some of them rare endemic species, during this unexpectinglly peaceful walking tour though mountainous pathways at only 15 minutes away from Athens historical city-center.
We walk through the pine and cypress forest. We pass by the Taxiarches hill, with the ruins of the 5th century A.D Basilica; a spot with stunning view to Athens and the sea, and we visit the 11th century A.D. monastery of Kaisariani. We continue higher up on the mountain to the post-Byzantine Asteriou monastery and the Anthousa tower. We follow the ancient trails; used by the workers of the ancient marble quarries, to reach the so called “dragon-house”; a hut built with giant stones, possibly used as a refuge for the miners.
For skilled hikers who would like to climb further, there are more stone-houses to explore and also the site where once stood Zeus’s sanctuary on the summit plateau. The summit ridge offers breathtaking views to the city of Athens and its surroundings, the Acropolis, the Saronic and Euboean gulfs.
Mt. Hymettus offers innumerous possibilities for short walks and long demanding hikes as well. Either you are a beginner or a skilled experienced hiker, ask for your perfect adventure near Athens.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 24 hours before the start date of the agreed activity. You will be automatically refunded for the full price of the activity.
- Cancellation 24 hours or later before the start date of the agreed activity is what we call last minute cancellations. No refunds will be made.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Address: Mount Hymettus
Notes: The exact meeting point is set after arrangement