Hiking on the Ancient path Eleftherna - Margarites, Crete
The city of Eleftherna was built between 970 – 820 BC by the Dorians (northern Greeks) that came to the island during that period. The city was one of the strongest and richest cities of Crete. It had a port that was located at Fodele bay. Through that port, the city could trade and communicate with the rest of the cities on Crete, continental Greece, Cyprus, and even cities in Africa.
Starting from the small village Eleftherna, we shall hike through the ruins of the ancient city, where will have the opportunity to admire the Byzantine tower at the city’s entrance, the Roman reservoirs, and tunnels, the acropolis, and the Hellenistic bridge. After our exploration, we will visit the local archeological museum. Later, after hiking through the beautiful countryside we end up at the pottery village of Margarites, where we can enjoy our lunch.
There we have the choice to visit the ceramic workshops and be introduced to the traditional art of pottery which flourished there from the Minoan period until nowadays.
- Distance: 11 km
- Duration: 5 hours
- Total tour duration 7 hours
- Family-friendly: Yes
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 7 days or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 3 and 7 days prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement.
- Cancellation 3 days or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Region: Irakleio, Irakleio
Address: Irakleio, Crete
Notes: Free transport from/to your hotel. (as long as you are within the predefined pick-up area)
Point of activity
Region: Archaia Eleutherna, Rethumno