8-days Sea Kayak Expedition with Camping in South Crete
This is our best-selling kayak expedition and there are several reasons for this but the major one is the outstanding landscape. A big part of the route is protected from the strong north winds by the massive White mountains (48 summits above 2000 meters!) with plenty of remote beaches and of course sunshine! This eight days expedition is suitable for new paddlers as well but you will need to be able to travel 6km/hour to join the trip. Will be great to have experience in winds as part of the trip is exposed to katabatic winds. Will try to avoid them by doing proper timing/planning but occasionally that is not possible. If you are in doubt about your skills contact us and will let you know if you will be fine to join the expedition.
The villages/towns of Palaiochora, Sougia, Loutro, Sfakia, Agia Roumeli, Rodakino, Plakias, Agia Galini, and Matala are just a few that we will pass during our trip. If we don’t paddle for a day or so due to bad weather there are plenty of hiking options including the famous Samaria gorge which in most cases we are able to hike all or part of it.
The whole expedition is about 135km. Due to the driving distance on the 1st day, we won't be able to paddle more than 10k, and the same for the last day.
That gives us roughly 20km per day excluding those 2 days. Bad weather days will make it necessary to increase the daily kilometers up to 30 or more.
- Fit enough to paddle up to 25km/day
- Have experience in sea state 3 (~1.25-meter waves)
- Able to control the boat downwind & across the wind
Camping & food
The expedition is self-catering. Usually, we each look after our own breakfast, lunch, and snacks and prepare a group evening meal in turn.
You are welcome to bring some food from home if you wish, however, I suggest we buy most of the food, and especially water after we meet in Heraklio.
We will buy 2 days' worth of food and water at the beginning as we will be able to restock during the route.
Meals in seaside towns, or beachside tavernas, are possible but not every day if the weather is bad and we have to change the plan. You will be informed on time anyway by or guide about getting or not supplies.
During the off-season (late October to late April) we will need to carry supplies for at least 3 days.
Can I rent all the camping equipment?
We can provide all the equipment for camping apart from the sleeping bag for an extra cost. You can get a high-quality 3 or 4-season tent for an extra 30€ for the whole duration of the trip and also the mattress. The stove (complete set from Trangia) and gas canister are an extra 30€ and are suitable for 2-3 persons.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 14 days or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 7 and 14 days prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement.
- Cancellation 7 days or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Address: Heraklion 712 01 Crete
Notes: Our trip officially begins in the morning at the Heraklion city where our staff will meet you. Exact meeting time will be determined depending participants flights. The best place to fly to is Heraklion airport as it is much easier from there to deal with transport. The second biggest airport in Crete is that one in Chania city. Plenty of charter flights going there as well and if you do find a much cheaper flight for that airport then go for it! Bare in mind that in this case you will need to meet us in the starting point (roughly 10-15€ by bus - takes nearly 2 hours to get there). We will meet in a central place near Heraklio (will sent you the exact spot by email). Once everybody is ready for departure we will enjoy a great drive across north and south west Crete down to the Palaiochora village. This is about 4 hours driving. During the drive will make a stop for a coffee and we will review the itinerary for the week and answer whatever questions you may have.