10-days Sea Kayak Expedition with Camping in North Crete
This sea kayak expedition is available only during winter months; from mid-November to late March.
The expedition is for strong and competent paddlers (you need to be at 4* level) who would like to enjoy the experience of an extended sea trip and rough water. A dry suit is not needed as with a cag and neoprene shorts or trousers you will be fine. Most of the time the ground temperature doesn’t go lower than 10-14oC while plenty of days with sunshine and near 18-20oC.
The trip starts near Chania town in north West and weather-wise will finish near Agios Nikolaos or Pachia Ammos village in eastern Crete.
It is a lovely trip and the winter season is offering a unique view of the snow-capped mountains of Crete. The island is extremely quiet during the winter thus offering some great camping spots which are impossible to camp during the summer.
Experienced needed: advanced
The whole expedition is about 220km. This equates to about 22km/day in 10 days, however bad weather days plus the first and last day (limited paddling due to driving distance) will make it necessary to increase the daily kilometers up to 35 or more.
- Fit enough to paddle up to 35km/day
- Comfortable in sea state 4 (~2-meter waves)
- Been able to paddle with an average speed of 6 km per hour
Camping & Food
The expedition is self-catering. Usually, we each look after our own breakfast, lunch, and snacks and prepare a group evening meal in turn.
We will buy 4 days' worth of food and water for 2 days in the beginning as we will be able to restock during the route. Our guide will give you a detailed briefing and sort out if there is any issue related to food or camping.
Meals in seaside towns, or beachside tavernas, are not possible apart from maybe a day or two due to being all closed for the winter season. The island is extremely quiet during the winter which takes place during this expedition, it is simply wonderful.
For camping, you need to have your pegs suitable for both sandy and rocky beaches.
Arrival & Departure Dates
We will meet near the city of Heraklion between 8-9 am. You should arrive in Heraklion the day before.
On the last day of the trip, we will return back to Heraklion by our car and will be glad to drop you at the airport if your flight is on the same date.
Your flight needs to be late enough as we need about 2 hours to get there from the place that will finish our sea kayak trip.
An alternative airport if you do find a much cheaper flight is the one in Chania.
Can I rent all the camping equipment?
We can provide all the equipment for camping apart from the sleeping bag for an extra cost. You can get a high-quality 3 or 4-season tent for an extra 30€ for the whole duration of the trip and with an extra 10€ an inflatable mattress or a normal mattress if inflatables are already booked. The stove (complete set from Trangia) and gas canister are included in the price.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 14 days or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 7 and 14 days prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement.
- Cancellation 7 days or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Region: Irakleio, Irakleio
Address: Heraklion Crete Island