Knossos V.I.P. Tour
During this tour you will have the opportunity to experience the Minoan culture in its entirety, by visiting the palace of Knossos, the archaeological museum of Heraklion, a traditional winery as well as mount Giouhtas, which, for the ancient Minoans it was a sacred mountain, mainly because of its shape: from the northwest, the mountain looks like a human face looking at the sky. According to the legend, Zeus is buried there. After all, the mountain got its name from him, since Giouhtas comes from the Latin Jupiter, which is Zeus.
After getting acquainted with your guide and a short briefing, the excursion will begin. Our first stop is the archaeological site of Knossos. Discovered by Arthur Evans and David George Hogard, Knossos is the largest Bronze age archaeological site on Crete and has been called Europe’s oldest civilization. There you can walk within the ruins of the palace and learn about its historic importance as much as the myths and legends surrounding it (Specialised guides are located on the site and can be hired for a tour at some extra charge). After our visit to the archaeological site of Knossos, we will head towards the highest peak of Giouhtas, following the dirt road through a beautiful pine forest, on the east side of the mountain. There, the small church of Christ the Lord is located, built-in 1443. The view to the valley of Archanes, which is a vast vineyard, Psiloritis, Dikti, and Heraklion, is amazing! You will also have the opportunity to search for herbs and observe the imposing vultures, that find refuge on the steep cliffs. Then we will drive to a local winery, where you will have the opportunity to experience a special wine tasting at the Fabrika Wine Experience, tracing step by step the process of winemaking, maturation, and bottling of wine, while also getting acquainted with traditional winemaking processes and tools such as the great cement tanks that hold the must during the fermentation period.
After your wine-tasting experience, you will board the car and head towards a local tavern where you will enjoy the excellent Cretan cuisine.
Once you finish your meal and have a complimentary drink of raki, you will once again board the car and drive towards our last destination for the day, the Heraklion archaeological museum. Your return to Heraklion will be through the old road of Archanes - Heraklion, between beautiful vineyards and olive groves, which passes next to the Venetian aqueduct built in 1628 by Morozini where we will have a short stop for some pictures and for you to observe the structure in all its beauty. The archaeological museum is one of the largest and most important museums in Europe because it houses representative artifacts that span of a period of 5500 years from the Neolithic Period to Roman times with an emphasis on Minoan art, with artifacts that are considered true masterpieces. As the day goes on and we depart from Heraklion’s archaeological museum, we will head back to the hotel, where the excursion will conclude.
- The visit to the Holy Temple of Christ the Lord on the top of Giouhta.
- The view from the top of the mountain.
- The drive through vineyards and olive groves in Syllamos.
- The food.
- The visit to the archaeological museum of Heraklion
- The visit to the palace of Knossos
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 7 days or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 3 and 7 days prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement.
- Cancellation 3 days or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Region: Irakleio, Irakleio
Address: Irakleio, Crete
Notes: Free transport from/to your hotel. (as long as you are within the predefined pick-up area)