Hiking Ridomo Gorge, Taygetos
A half-day hike at the longest gorge of mount Taygetos
Just 10km away from Kalamata, yet so close to the core of Taygetos massif lies Ridomo gorge. A geological phenomenon with interesting limestone formations, created by the effect of water rushing down from the mountains. The gorge starts from the peaks of mount Taygetos down to the beach of Santova just outside of Kalamata. At a certain point, it becomes two meters narrow and 60 meters high. Walking through this part is a great experience.
Our hike starts from the rim near the village of Vario. We follow the path leading down to the rocky bottom. Walking the gorge uphill is a bit challenging as we scramble the huge boulders but very much rewarding as the views around us are truly magnificent. We make a few stops to rest enjoy a healthy picnic and admire the unique geological formations. We may spot some wild goats skillfully balancing on the almost vertical cliffs. Small waterfalls drip down from high above, and partly those walls are decorated by evergreen ivy plants. After around 5 kilometers the rockiest part is over and the gorge gets narrower. Soon we shall find ourselves in a narrow corridor between vertical walls, listening to the echo of our steps and almost able to touch both walls at the same time. This is the most impressive part of Ridomo Gorge.
- Meeting time: 9:30 a.m.
- Meeting point: Voreio
- Duration: 5 hours including breaks
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Suitability: Family friendly, Group friendly, Couples, Youth, Kids over 12 years old
Read MoreRead Less
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.