Hiking at Viros gorge - West Mani
The gorge of Viros is one of the four gorges of west Mani area, located in Taygetos, has a total length of 19 kilometers and is definitely the most historic one! It is not only natural beauty, but also its historical importance as the ancient Royal Road used to pass from the location and connected ancient Sparta with port of Kardamili, that makes it a must hike!
The trail starts at the mouth of the usually dry river bed, located in Kardamili. Walking upwards into the gorge through trees, shrub, vegetation and impressive geological formation, we discover two monasteries hidden in a forest section. You will see the ruins of monastery Lykaki and the Monastery of The Savior of the 14th century. Luckily, they are under restoration in an effort to preserve to preserve the rare, vivid, original, first Christian frescos. The trail is circular.
Why Do We Recommend It?
- Because this is a journey to history, culture and nature.
- Most of the walking is in shade conditions, which makes it perfect for a summer hike!
- The visit to the monasteries is a mystical experience
- Experienced hiking guide and first aider
Is it right for me?
- This is a great activity for a holiday for those who want to have a first hike experience but also for those who love to hike. The trek is of average difficulty so you don’t need to be especially fit. No trekking experience is required.
- Great for solo travelers, couples, friends, and parents with young children (5 years minimum)
- First-time hikers are welcome.
Can I Go Anytime?
This tour is available during all seasons and you can select your date during the booking process. We’ll then get back to you with the confirmation.
If you don’t find any dates that are suitable for you, just get in touch by phone or email and we’ll let you know if anything can be arranged. We always do our best to get you the holiday you want!
Keep in mind
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Meeting Point: Kardamili, approx. 07:00am
- Tour Ends: Kardamili, approx. 12:00am
- Group Size: max 12 people
- Age: Adults no limit, children with some hiking experience
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 72 hours or more prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price.
- Cancellation between 24 hours and 72 hours prior to the agreed activity starting date. You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
- Cancellation 24 hours or later are what we call last-minute cancellations. No reimbursements will be effected
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point on time, before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Region: Kardamuli 240 22
Address: Kardamyli, West Mani, Messinia, Greece Z.C. 24022