A half day hike in Kardamyli of western Mani
Land of stone and light, villages perched on the outskirts of mount Taygetos with tower houses and countless chapels. Settlements bordering the sea, steep canyons and caves, and beaches entangled with olive groves. The charm of Mani is these contrasts. Here, every stone has its own history. Here, the magnificence of the mountainous nature is harmoniously combined with the allure of the sea as mount Taygetos is so close to the embrace of the Mediterranean.
Starting our hike from the fort of old Kardamyli we follow the trail of the ancient so-called ‘’royal street’’ connecting Kardamyli with Sparta during ancient years. We walk on a pathway immersed in olive trees, pines, and cypress trees. We visit some of the traditional villages of the region, we walk through their narrow streets and alleys learning about their history. Byzantine churches, stone-built watchtowers, old fountains, and olive, and grain mills reveal the life of locals in the past. A blast of colors and aromas from wildflowers and herbs overwhelm us and brings us even closer to the natural environment. Just a breath away, mount Taygetos with its imposing peaks. A small break for a healthy picnic with traditional local delicacies gives us additional energy.
- Route length: 12 km
- Route type: Circular
- Activity time with breaks: 5+ hours
- Meeting time: 9:30 a.m.
- Meeting point: Kardamyli square.
- Difficulty: Easy, with a few challenging parts
- Suitability: Family friendly, Group friendly, Couples, Seniors, Youth, Kids over 10 years old
Read MoreRead Less
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.