Day trip to Preveli Palm Beach From Chania
- 08:30-09:20 Pick-Up from Chania Hotels
- 11:35 Arrival at Damnoni beach/embarkation
- 11:40 Departure by boat to Preveli beach
- 12:00 Arrival at Preveli Palm beach
- 15:00 Departure by boat from Preveli Palm beach to Plakias / Damnoni village
- 15:20-16:15 Free time at Plakias village
- 16:15 Departure from Plakias village
- 16:30 Kourtaliotis gorge/photo shooting stop
- 17:15-19:15 Arrival at your hotel
*Please note: The pick up starts from the area of Kolimbari and ends at Chania area. (Kolimbari, Tavronitis, Maleme, Gerani, Platanias, Agia Marina, Stalos, Kalamaki,Ag. Apostoli, Chania City, Halepa).
Preveli is located about 35km south of Rethymno and 10km east of Plakias. The beach of Preveli, also known as lake Preveli or Phoenix, is located at the exit of the imposing Kourtaliotis gorge, where the Great River (Megas Potamos) flows. It is certainly the most famous beach in south Crete, accepting thousands of visitors every summer.
During the 60s and 70s, it was a favorite destination for hippies. On the banks of the Grand River, there is a large colony of Theophrastus palm trees, which give the region a sense of a tropical landscape. The river, forming a small lake, 500m long, before emptying into the sea, has water all year round. You can walk along the river, under the shade of palm trees and other trees, and start ascending the beautiful canyon. You can swim in the cold ponds formed in the gorge. A big fire in 2010 burnt almost everything in this paradise, but the palm grove recovered and still remains heaven on earth.
At the exit of the river, a sandy beach with pebbles and sand is formed, with seawater being very cool due to the river. In the eastern part of the beach, there is a beautiful rock reminding of a heart. The beach is not well organized because the area is protected, without any umbrellas.
Kourtaliotis or “Kourtaliotiko” Gorge:
The Kourtaliotiko Gorge is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful gorges of Crete. Inside, the Kourtaliotis river flows, crossing its 2.5 km in length and its towering slopes that reach 600 meters in height. The gorge begins from the village of Koxare in the prefecture of Rethymno and reaches the lake of Preveli. Stone steps begin from the Kokaere - Asomatous road and reach the interior of the gorge, at the church of Agios Nikolaos and the springs of Kourtaliotis.
The gorge is an important biotope since rare species of birds of prey live in the caves formed on its slopes.
- The most famous beach in southern Crete
- Visit the 2nd largest palm forest in Crete
- Swim in the crystal clear waters
- Walkthrough the river surrounded by palms
- Visit one of the most vintage places for hippies
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 24 hours before the start date of the agreed activity. You will be automatically refunded for the full price of the activity.
- Cancellation 24 hours or later before the start date of the agreed activity is what we call last minute cancellations. No refunds will be made.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point on time, before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Notes: Meeting / pick-up point by appointment or from your hotel
Point of activity
Region: Foinikas, Rethumno