Day Trip to Cretan History & Culture with Pottery Workshop in Rethymno
Arkadi – Museum Of Eleftherna – Margarites (Pottery Workshop) – Olive Oil Factory – Melidoni Cave
This experience starts with our pick-up service near the hotel at 07:-08:00 from Rethymno.
After 30 min. we arrive at the most important monastery of Crete: the historical Monastery of Arkadi where you will have one hour of free time to discover all its beauty. The monastery played an active role in the Cretan resistance to Ottoman rule during the Cretan revolt of 1866. There is a small museum where many icons and monastic relics, as well as weapons, are exhibited.
After that, we will visit the Museum of Ancient Eleftherna with its historical findings from Homer’s era. Is the first archaeological site museum in Crete. The museum hosts the whole history of Eleftherna from 3000 BC to 1300 AD with everyday objects and artworks.
Afterward, you will enjoy a guided tour of the pottery workshop “TSIKALARIO”, to the village of Margarites where Miss Helen will show you the art of pottery but, every visitor will also have the opportunity to create his own ceramic. The tradition of pottery goes back many generations in this villa. Right after that, you will visit Margarites village where you will have free time for lunch or a walk.
The trip is not over yet… Let’s go to an olive oil manufactory. You will have the opportunity to learn how the Cretan people did olive oil in the past and to see the evolution until nowadays and, of course, you will taste it!!!
The last destination on that excursion is Melidoni cave, at an altitude of 220 meters. You will discover an amazing cave filled full of stalactites and stalagmites but also, full of history. Melidoni cave is also called ‘Gerodospilios’. It was used for religious ceremonies. During the Minoan Civilisation, it was a place of worship for Talos, the bronze giant guardian of Crete who protected the island from enemies. It is of archaeological and historical interest. In October 1823, 370 women and children and 30 warriors who hid from Hussein Bey sought refuge in the Melidoni cave. When he found out, the cave was surrounded by his army and he asked the Cretan people to surrender. When they refused to do so, the Ottomans started to attack them. Three months later they dropped combustible materials into an opening leading to the cave and set it on fire. Men, women, and children lost their lives in the cave in January 1824. In the central room of the cave, there is an ossuary containing the bones of the heroes of Melidoni cave.
Around 16:30-17:00, we returned back to Rethymno.
Read MoreRead Less
Do nοt forget
- Cancellation 24 hours before the start date of the agreed activity. You will be automatically refunded for the full price of the activity.
- Cancellation 24 hours or later before the start date of the agreed activity is what we call last minute cancellations. No refunds will be made.
* If the activity is canceled by the activity provider (due to weather, non-completion of minimum entries, force majeure, etc.), the price of your activity, is refunded in full.
Unlimited Adrenaline Tips
- Many activities are based on the weather, so it is recommended that you contact the company before the activity.
- It is a good idea to be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- After your reservation it is enough to give your details to the cooperating company so that you can carry out your activity. However, it is recommended that you have the booking confirmed in digital or printed form.
- Read the benefits of the activity carefully to avoid possible extra charges from additional optional services.
- Read the cancellation policy carefully before booking.
Region: Rethumno, Rethumno
Notes: Meeting/pick-up point by appointment
Point of activity
Region: Moni Arkadiou, Rethumno